Developing a writing habit is one of the best things you can do with your time – especially if you’re a student.
You will get better at: writing and editing, sharing opinions, organising your time, noticing new things, understanding your own thoughts, exploring new ideas, finding new friends and remembering your experiences – all this and your family will be so proud!
The best place to start a blog is wordpress.com. It’s fast, free and easy. So let’s get started:
- Go to wordpress.com and click ‘get started’
2. Type in your email address, choose a username and password.
3. Choose a name for your site, anything will do- and click ‘beginner’ below if this is your first blog. Don’t worry too much about the other boxes.
4. Choose an address for your site – you can just use the name you choose above. Anything is OK, this is not important.
5. From the different choices that come up choose the one that is FREE. The address doesn’t matter. Then pick a plan – choose FREE. You can always upgrade later when you blog is super successful.
6. Then the site will be ready!
7. You will need to confirm your email address before you can blog, so go to your email account now and click on the link inside the email from wordPress.
7. Now back to wordPress…see that little white box at the top with ‘write’ written beside it? Click on that, think of a title, start writing, upload photos using the ‘+ add’ …then PUBLISH. You are now a published author. Congratulations!
8. As you look around your wordPress site you’ll notice there’s a lot you can do to make the site your own. You’ll probably want to select a free theme and after you’ve chosen one you can upload photos or use the free photos that wordPress gives you to personalise your site further.
9. There is a big community of bloggers on wordPress and can you find them easily. Just click on the ‘reader’ and then search for topics that interest you. Follow the bloggers you like, and they may follow you back.
10. Number 10…choose a time of day when you’d like to blog and go for it!